How does one go about identifying the right set of keywords or search queries for a specific product category? How do we know that people have searched outside our prepared list?
Zabi Ulla: We recommend leveraging the AIDA framework to perform keyword discovery. Build an initial list of keywords that consumers would search –
- Look for questions or discussion around your product and product category (Awareness)
- Estimate keywords the consumer would use if they wanted to know more or know something specific about your product category (Interest)
- Identify keywords the consumer would use to show desire in a specific brand (Desire) and
- Track keywords specific to buying (Action)
Once this initial set of keywords is identified, it time to use technology platforms such as Google Autocomplete to identify all possible sets of keywords related to your initial set. This helps build an exhaustive list of keywords that people would use to perform their online research.
We at Course5 have partnered with various keyword research vendors who facilitate insights on keyword discovery on various search engines such as Google, Bing, Yahoo, Amazon, and Best-Buy.com etc.
When you say you ‘extract themes from keywords’, how does that work?
Zabi Ulla: When the AIDA framework is used to extract keyword queries, it already builds keywords in the form of a funnel. Further, what aspect people are interested in terms of their research is identified using the Course5 NLP theme detection framework. Using language libraries and resources built for specific industry verticals, we identify thematic constructs of keywords and search queries based on language semantical algorithms. These themes are extremely useful to track search behavior and correlate with various business outcomes for actionability.
What are some broad business applications of Search Analytics? How do they differ from industry to industry?
Zabi Ulla: Search-based analytics is essential in today’s world to understand consumer product discovery. Hence it has wide applications. We at Course5 mainly focus on following applications:
- Demand Forecasting & Planning: When people search about a product, essentially they are planning to own a product at some point of time. Leveraging search behavior along with other external factors such as improvised forecasting enables scenario-based modeling which is essential in demand planning.
- Trend-Picking: We use NLP-based language semantics on keywords and sets of search queries which represent commonality and unique aspects in search patterns. This helps us track common and unique themes over time to discover unique interest from a ‘consumer needs’ perspective. Leveraging other technological platforms here is extremely essential to help identify unique search behavior. At Course5, we have partnered with various keyword research partners who facilitate us with timely data for this analysis.
- Influence of Organic Search on Marketing Spend: Leveraging search behavior data helps identify whether your digital marketing spend has any indirect effects on shaping consumer needs and wants. The importance and effectiveness of organic and paid search is well explained using our search-based analytics program.
How do you deploy Search Analytics for any organization? How scalable is it within an organization?
Zabi Ulla: The real benefit of search-based analytics is when it is used for real-time or near-to-real time analytics. We build custom applications for any organization, specific to their business needs and data consumption behavior. This application enables near-to-real time machine learning and provides real-time insights on consumer search behavior. We have built required accelerators to scale this program for various applications (listed above) with only 30%-40% of efforts required once a custom application is operationalized.
How is Course5’s Search-based Analytics helping brands today?
Zabi Ulla: We have discussed various use cases in our webinar and talked about how it is currently helping brands make decisions related to media buying, inventory management, paid search optimization etc.
Watch Webinar Recording: Optimizing Digital Spend Using Consumer Search Behavior